[ale] Open source X-Windows for MS-Windows workstations

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 14 09:00:05 EDT 2009

Can anyone tell me what open source X-Windows package(s) you use to
display X-Windows on your MS-Windows desktops/laptops?

In most of my jobs I've used Hummingbird Exceed ($$$) and it works
great.

Previously we installed Xming (a subset of the Cygwin stuff) but I never
really used it to a great extent.   The powers that be got wind of
Cygwin from someone else and now think they want to replace Exceed with
it.   However, my coworker had told me there were some things he'd seen
issues with Xming (though I never saw them).   Does anyone have
experience using Cygwin/Xming to display commercial UNIX (HP-UX, AIX,
Solaris) and Linux X-Windows?   If so do you know of any gotchas such as
rendering problems with specific X apps?

Does anyone have any other FOSS X-Windows package suggestion for
MS-Windws?

Also as I recall there is another commercial X-Windows package but its
name escapes me.   If anyone is using that and has opinions of it as
compared to Exceed or Cygwin/Xming I'd be interested in hearing it.