[ale] PowerLine Networks

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sat Sep 12 15:58:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Matt Rideout <mrideout at windserve.com> wrote:
> AES is solid, so I suspect that the weak link
> there will be the integrity of the key that's selected. I would treat
> that network as only slightly more trustworthy than a WPA2 wireless
> network. Look to higher layers to provide additional security.

In an interesting tangent, there have been a few signs of weakness in AES lately
that indicate it might be practical to crack in a few years.  (That's wild
speculation on my part, but it does seem like these weaknesses are
found a few years before real exploits appear.  MD5 comes to mind.)

  http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>