[ale] FWD: Southeast User Group Leaders Scummit

Ryan Curtin ryan at igglybob.com
Thu Sep 10 09:51:59 EDT 2009

Normally I don't reply to ALE threads since they tend to be very long-winded
discussions that I unfortunately don't have the time to get involved into, but I
do want to point something out.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 03:08:23AM -0400, aaron wrote:
> On 2009, Sep, 09, , at 2:34 PM, Stephen Cristol wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 2009, at 3:03 AM, aaron wrote:
> >> "Hosted by [Mafia$oft]".
> >> only amount to a Windisease commercial promotion
> extensions of FistYa7 that serve the sole purpose
> In the case of Mafia$oft, it is really impossible
(and so on)

Can we actually call these companies and their products by their correct names?
I understand the dislike, certainly (I am no huge fan of Microsoft myself), but
the far-fetched lexicographical similarities that give rise to such random names
as "Mafia$oft" only really lead to confusion for the weak-minded like me.  When
I read that originally, it took me a day or two before it clicked.  I thought
Mafia$oft was some sort of blackhat-related group.  And FistYa7?  I still am
left without a clue, but based on the context I can only guess 'Windows 7'?

Not to descend too far into a tangent, but I have to say, as the president of
LUG at GT, one of the big things that turn people off to user groups is zealotry
like this.  It alienates those who haven't fully embraced Linux and FOSS.  At
Georgia Tech at least, we cannot survive like that, since incoming freshmen who
are well-versed in Linux are actually kind of rare (ones that show at meetings
even more so).

Please don't take my comments the wrong way -- I don't mean any disrespect.

--
Ryan Curtin       | "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!  This is the
ryan at igglybob.com | War Room!" - President Muffley