[ale] FWD: Southeast User Group Leaders Scummit

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Wed Sep 9 14:34:58 EDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 3:03 AM, aaron wrote:
> According to the site, this event is
> "Hosted by [Mafia$oft]".

True. Microsoft is also a sponsor.

> To me, that is a guarantee that the summit will
> only amount to a Windisease commercial promotion
> scam for enlisting gullible dupes to advertise and
> spread the viruses that make the M$ thugs wealthy
> without having to pay those zombie slaves any
> share of the the ill gotten loot from their
> labors.

So the new certainties in life are death, taxes, and Microsoft will
pollute everything it touches? I missed that update. Maybe I need a
new crystal ball.

Corporate sponsorships are often self serving. So what? The upcoming
Atlanta Linux Fest is hosted by a company with its own checkered
past. That company is now a good friend to the open source community.
Should we forgive past transgressions? How long do we have to wait
before that is morally acceptable?

Oh, one more thing...O’Reilly Media is a supporter of this event. But
what have they ever done for user groups? You know, besides the free
books, the discounts, and the conferences.