[ale] IPv6 routing issues

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Sep 6 17:45:54 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 17:12 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 08:28 -0600, JK wrote:
> > > 	Another possibility you could try would be to configure a passthrough
> > > on that DSL router/NAT for protocol 41.  That's not port 41 and it's not
> > > TCP or UDP.  It's protocol 41.  That's the SIT protocol.  It sits
> > > directly on IP.  TCP is IP protocol 6, UDP is IP protocol 17, ICMP is IP
> > > protocol 1, SIT aka IPv6 aka 6in4 is IP protocol 41.  I don't know your
> > > device so I don't know if you have that option.
> >
> > Bleh. 2Wire HomePortal, knows nothing about anything other than TCP and
> > UDP.
> >
> > So, I put a stupid DSL modem directly in front of my Ubuntu box,
> > grabbed a public v4 addr from ATT, locked down iptables (for both
> > v4 and v6 traffic), and the freenet6 client started working.
> > Unfortunately, this will require some fairly major re-organization
> > of my network, but oh well.  Should be fun.

> I was doing that for quite a while.  I run a connection to HE for my
> IPv6 connection, though it seems that there may be something more local,
> like a SIXXS connection point here in Atlanta.

	OCCAID has a pop here in Atlanta (3 actually).  Not sure about HE.
Last time I looked, the closest HE pop was in Miami but they've been
expanding.  Problem there is that both OCCAID and HE are SIT only.  They
really don't have a provision for IPv6 over UDP and that's the problem
he's having with his DSL modem and the tunnel.  I'm with OCCAID
including full BGP peering (at one point that was the only way you could
get a full /48 was to peer BGP with them to control the dynamic
routing).  Now, OCCAID is using SixXS as their frontend, end user
management, but the SixXS IPv6-in-UDP protocol (AYIYA) is only available
over in Europe, last I looked.

> 	--- Mike

	Regards,
	Mike