[ale] Recommendation for RHEL-specific Book

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Sep 2 23:41:03 EDT 2009

Is there a book that takes a similar approach to covering Red Hat
Enterprise Linux that Martin Krafft's "The Debian System: Concepts and
Techniques" takes to explaining Debian? In other words, not another
general linux book but one that explains in detail what makes Red Hat
Red Hat?

To quote from a two reviews of the Debian book:

I liked this book because, finally, an author has had the presence of
mind to write a book that did not regurgitate Unix commands like 'ls'
and 'vi' for the gazillionth time. The focus is on debian, and only on
those parts that make debian unique -- the culture of the "debian
project", the notoriety for its alleged difficulty of installation
(which I have not experienced), the speed and timeliness of its releases
(not!), and homage to that supreme program -- apt-get and its close
relatives.

Prospective TDS readers should understand that this book is unlike any I
have read on operating systems. Readers will not have to skip pages on
setting up Apache or configuring BIND, thankfully! Instead, TDS covers
core system administration subjects to a degree I have not seen
elsewhere. I do not mean that TDS delves into kernel structures in the
way that McKusick and Neville-Neil's "The Design and Implementation of
the FreeBSD Operating System" does. Rather, Krafft takes readers on an
inside tour of the how and why of Debian. Rather than just explaining a
technique or tool, the author discusses the overall problem, possible
ways to approach it, and Debian's solutions. He presents pros and cons
for each, and then demonstrates usage with command line syntax and
sample output.

This is the type of material I'd like to read about RHEL. Is it out there?

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts