[ale] Virus Removal

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 08:40:24 EST 2009

Be advised: Linpus = Linux + pus

Most new(ish) distros have a slimmed down (heavy power tweaks, noatime mounts, etc) version. The Moblin stuff is available for both Ubuntu and Fedora. I have an Aspire One and will look at the Fedora version of netbook installs later this weekend.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
On Fri November 27 2009, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Seems to be the WindowsXP virus.  Nasty booger. What Ubuntu distribution
> is made for this unit and will assist in removing this horrendous virus?

did a google search for acer netbook linux:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One

Linux

Models with names starting in L, or ending in A followed by a letter for
color, are shipped with Linpus Linux Lite, which is based on Fedora Core 8[7]
[8] This offers a simplified user interface, with default applications like
the Firefox 2 browser, OpenOffice.org 2.3, Acer One Mail and Acer One
Messenger available directly on the main screen. The default desktop
environment has been designed to hide advanced features from the user and to
prevent modification. However, it is still possible to modify it to present a
more traditional Xfce 4 desktop, enable more advanced features such as
context menus, or install additional software.[9]

It is possible to install and run other Linux distributions on the Acer Aspire
One, and some specially customised Linux distributions have been designed to
offer out-of-the-box functionality. These include Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR),
Linux4One,[10], Kuki Linux[11] and Moblin[12]. Other distributions of the
Linux operating system will also run, such as Fedora,[13] Debian, Mandriva
Linux,[14] Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio,[15][16][17] Eeebuntu,[18] openSUSE,[19] and
Linux Mint.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800