[ale] Ubuntu Compiz and Lockups

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Nov 5 17:28:43 EST 2009

On 11/05/2009 01:39 PM, Robert Coggins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am stronly considering moving away from Ubuntu due to not being able
> to run compiz without it locking up or rebooting X.  Everythign works
> fine on my Lonevo T61 with nvidia card while compiz is turned off.  I
> know it is a petty thin but it irritates me that I can't use something I
> really like without worrying about losing work.
>
> My question is this:  Having any of you switched distro and had issues
> like this resolved?  Should I be concerned that compiz is the problem or
> compiz on ubuntu?

It's true that by switching distros you might get a different version of
Xorg, the Nvidia blob, or compiz that solves your problem. I have no
idea if Ubuntu carries a lot of patches against compiz; poke around at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz and you can probably find out.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts