[ale] Comcast DNS

Scott skotchman at gmail.com
Wed May 27 18:05:14 EDT 2009

Björn Gustafsson wrote:
> Do you think that the performance difference is in the DNS?  If so,
> it's pretty unlikely that changing the tertiary server will provide
> the most help.  You should only be hitting the third one if the first
> two servers fail, which would be rare in the extreme.
>
> When you performed the nslookup commands, did they return in less than
> a second?  If they are fast, I would suspect that your performance
> problem is from some other cause than DNS.
>
> It's curious that you use Internap's name servers.  I presume that's
> something you selected yourself at some time, is that true?

I had started using them sometime way back when Charter was having some
serious DNS problems. Back then someone on the list had suggested those
2 IPs, I don't remember who. When I made the change my problems then had
gone away. Also I'm not sure of the DNS search path, I've never used
that before, my guess is that is something that Comcast is plugging in
along with the IP of their DNS for my 3rd DNS.