[ale] Linux Curriculum Suggestions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:49:19 EDT 2009

As any discussion of curriculum are lengthy and very involved AND I
happen to think the ALE group has a core body of highly-qualified
professionals that could serve very well in an advisory position, I
propose a separate ale mailing list to house discussions of
professional curriculum matters.

A similar discussion came up several years ago as it related to
professional organization, certification and training. I know there
are ALE people who have experience in designing Linux certification
questions and that would be extraordinarily invaluable to this
process.

A "hurdle" to "large scale adoption" of Linux (I've been paid to run a
few thousand servers so I guess that's not "large scale") has been the
perceived "lack of trained professionals".

ALE started one of the best (and most beloved and missed!) conferences
in the US. Maybe we should look at a new large-scale project - getting
the core material in place to train the next generation of sys-admins
to remove old and busted windows and install and maintain new and
shiny Linux.

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:03 PM, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> As an active and involved contact for the ALE group I've
> been invited to assist the Program Advisory Committee of
> the ITT Technical Institute, Atlanta, with recommendations
> for designing their IT curriculum.  This is an outgrowth
> of a well received guest teaching presentation on (basic)
> Bash programming that I gave for an introductory Linux
> class there in March.
>
> I believe I have a good general understanding of the IT
> industry and market place, so I know enough to know what
> I don't know, thus I know that this list has may members
> with far more real world working experience in the field
> than I have.
>
> Any and all suggestions or ideas y'all might care to offer
> regarding the education and training of the next generation
> of GNU Linux developers and system administrators would be
> greatly appreciated, including thoughts on valued programming
> languages, certifications, resources, texts and preparations
> for job hunting in the Linux IT marketplace.
>
> Probably best to reply off list (and note that in the topic).
> My first meeting with the committee is June 4th, so I'll be
> compiling the suggestions list off line until then and will
> post a synopsis of the suggestions and the meeting afterward.
>
> Thanks for your attention and participation!
>
> peace
> aaron

James P. Kinney III