[ale] Web camera - followup

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon May 25 19:31:42 EDT 2009

And now for Page Three: . . . .

My son suggested that FC 11 might well solve my problem and
that I should try the beta to see what happened.
So I downloaded the Beta "Live CD" and discovered that its
692 Mgb wouldn't fit on my 650 Mgb CDs.

Grrrrr.

So purchase some 700 Mgb Cd platters and burn the iso.

What do you know:  FC 11 Beta recognizes the web cam without
any problems and even more wonderful, recognizes and DEALS
WITH the Nvidia card.  Threw up 1600 X 1200 to the monitor on the
initial boot.  YAY!!!!!!!!!

Well one big step forward has to be followed by several steps
backward.  On shutdown of the FC 11, it managed to totally bork
the onboard LAN on the way down.  Got immediate warning of the
problem on reboot off the harddrive as the initial mobo screen
flashed a warning in red that the LAN was not connected.
Fortunately have an old box with a ethernet card and it only took
five minutes to rip it out and install it into this box.

So, for now, I intend to wait until FC 11 is released, then wait two
weeks more, and then do a fresh install, erasing the FC 7 that is
on this box now.

Sean