[ale] web camera

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun May 24 16:15:50 EDT 2009

Okay,
I went out and purchased a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000,
complete with microphone and Zeiss optics.
Then went off to SKYPE and downloaded their software for Linux.
Noticed that the download included two small "Logitech" files, but
 didn't have time to write down the names.

[System is FC 7, and kernel is 2.6.23.15-80]

As expected, the "fully supported camera/microphone" doesn't work
out of the box. Oddly enough the sound system can identify the
microphone. The USB bus report shows the device as "unknown" but
accurately displays the vendor/product IDs. All of this after a full
reboot.

(I gather that newer kernels do offer support for web cams and I am
waiting for FC 11 to be released.)

So I wander around the web and find drivers.
Download the tar.gz file and unpack it.
But before I do a make install I think I should know what, if anything, the
SKYPE software install might have done with kernel drivers. If any are
present, I probably should delete them. (That's assuming, of course, that
the installed "Logitech files" were kernel drivers of some sort.)

But how?

I have no clue how to do that.

<lsmod | grep uvc>  returns nothing
<lsmod | grep video> returns

> video                  20177  0
> output                  6849  1 video

So,
Is it safe to run <make install> or not?

Sean