[ale] laptop advice needed

Thu May 21 16:45:01 EDT 2009

My wife's PPC 10.4 PB had a similar issue. I had to do gobs of
deleting all known netoworks, keychains, and then preference files in
both ~/Library and /Library

It drove me crazy trying to be conservative about it. I finally went
in to rm-it-all mode.

The only Linux laptop advice I can give is buy one that comes with
some form of linux. Otherwise you're likely to spend months on
sleep/suspend, wireless, and video issues. It doesn't have to come
with your distro of choice. If the OEM got Linux to work, so can you.

On 5/21/09, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com> wrote:
> what is the current laptop? (PPC/Intel)
>
> We experienced something similar on an old iBook ppc running 10.3.9 that
> somehow corrected itself after an update a few months back.
>
> wf
>
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 15:10 -0400, Sean wrote:
>> Problem:
>> Wife's Mac laptop at random times decides it will not connect to
>> the wireless LAN, which uses WEP and further restricts connections
>> to the approved list of MAC addresses.
>> It is as if the damn thing can (without warning) no longer locate/read a
>> key configuration file.  Not only does it not properly authenticate, after
>> several tries it no longer even admits the existence of the wireless LAN.
>> Its driving her nuts.  And me too, because the usual drill is for me to
>> spend an hour or more pounding on the damn thing using the GUI to get it
>> to rewrite the .conf file.  Because she works at Emory the IT folks there
>> know the root password and won't release it, so I am extremely limited in
>> what I can do.
>>
>> Anyway, I am just about totally fed up with the entire scene. And so is
>> she.
>>
>> So, she needs a replacement laptop that, while running Linux, has working
>> wireless, and (if at all possible) a working camera so we can Skype with
>> our grandkid in Denver.
>>
>> I have on hand live CDs for FC 10 and kubuntu 8.10, so I can go "play"
>> with
>> laptops at Fry's/Microcenter/wherever.  But I would like some advice on
>> what to stay away from and/or look for.
>>
>> Sean

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.