[ale] nvidia performance issue

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:21:22 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I have a  < 1yr old notebook with decent specs running sabayon. It has an
nvidia 9600M GT w/ 256mb of ram. It would skip badly when I tried to
fullscreen youtube, hulu, or quicktime video. This just didn't seem right. I
started digging into it by observing the settings in the the nvidia-settings
gui tool.

The chip was adaptively clocking itself up and down to save power which
cause nearly all video to look choppy. I found a little while loop shell
script that will keep the "powermiser" feature from operating but it is
kludgy. I am running x86_64 w/ the nvidia 180.11 drivers.

Anybody ran into this type of power saving feature? ;) Is there a more
straightforward method for disabling it? Here is the script I am currently
using:

while true; do
nvidia-settings -q all > /dev/null
sleep 20