[ale] sloppy coding in breath tester

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:02:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM, tom <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> I only scanned the link, so ...
>
> There is another possiblity - the authors were never CS trained at all.
> I'd guess that many of the people writing code for the breathalyzer were
> originally engineers or scientists with a dominant background in
> instrumentation. Coding would have been pickup activity which started
> taking over their lives like kudzu. Hence sloppy code due to a lack of
> background.

I disagree. I would suspect the bad code to be from a coder with lousy
math/science skills not a science person with lousy code skills.

There is a big difference between teh average of an array of values
and the average of an array of values plus a new value.

But without knowing details of who the bonehead was who didn't do due
diligence verification this all just blowing smoke.
--
James P. Kinney III