[ale] How to Mount a DVD-ROM Drive?

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:05:09 EDT 2009

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I hope my issue is a small one. I'm running Fedora 10, kernel
> > 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64. I have an internal DVD burner drive, but
> > it's very inconsistent with mounting. Some times I have to reboot the
> > machine or try to eject and reinsert the CD/DVD multiple times before it
> > recognizes it.  Is there a way that I can mount my DVD burner, in the
> same
> > fashion that I've done my other two hard drive partitions?
> >
> > I've made entries in /etc/fstab and added /dev/sbd{1,2}, so my partitions
> > mount every time I boot.  What is the device path to the DVD burner or
> how
> > can I find that out?  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Marc F.

Marc,

You could also use autofs (from the autofs rpm) to mount the cd/dvd for you;
you probably want to make one change to the /etc/auto.misc file, change the
-fstype=iso9660 to -fstype=auto that way you can account for dvds that
aren't iso9660 like udf (iirc).  After the change restart autofs.  You'll
see the mount occur when you try to access /misc/cd, but if you're not using
the media, the mount will not be present and if it's idle for too long,
autofs will go ahead and umount it and remove the mountpoint from /misc.

-Scott