[ale] VCS Suggestions

Mon May 11 12:53:51 EDT 2009

I can cite too!

Looks like there are plugins for MSFT workflows. [0] There's a
Tortoise  clone [1] and a MSFT VS 2008 plug-in [2].

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)#Portability
[1] http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/

I can't stress enough how superior a dvcs [3] is over the traditional vcs [4]
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Version_Control_System
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control_system

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
> John Temple wrote:
>> I am building a couple of new boxes at home a linux server and a new
>> primary desktop. On the desktop I am going to put VMWare Workstation so
>> that I can run Linux, Mac, and Windoze (my list has 6 different OSes so
>> far). I do a lot of web development in PHP and MySQL but I also do a bit
>> of general software development in C# and Java and starting Objective C.
>> What I am looking for is a VCS to run on the Linux server that will be
>> able to hook into the different IDEs that I use like Visual Studio,
>> Dreamweaver, Eclipse, and XCode. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>>

> Those products can all integrate with subversion [0]
>
> The documentation is quite nice [1]
>
> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_that_uses_Subversion
> [1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>
> --