[ale] Cheap hackable wifi router

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Sun May 10 02:22:25 EDT 2009

> I've only personally used WRT54G and GL routers (I deployed over 20 of
> them running OpenVPN at a company I worked for).  However, I have a
> friend who is running a cheaper Buffalo router that he claims has a much
> better radio than the Linksys routers.  Of course, it runs openwrt.
>
> I don't remember the model of the Buffalo, but I remember it being a
> good 20-30 bucks cheaper than a WRT54GL.

Probably a WHR-G54S.  Unfortunately, you cannot get these in stores
now because of the CSIRO crap which kept Buffalo out of the US market
for over a year.  Most of the stuff they are selling now is N based
gear, and I couldn't speak to its quality.

How would I know: I have one, and I have noticed that it puts out a
better signal than most of my WRT54G_ routers.

Brian