[ale] restricting web input

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Tue May 5 11:42:52 EDT 2009

> Does anyone know if it is possible to restrict input on a website
> from being cut/pasted?
>
> Have a requirement that a user enter an email address twice, to
> verify they didn't typo it.  Every site I've ever used that
> requires this info, I ALWAYS cut/paste.

Me too, usually.  Especially since the email address I enter is based on the
domain of the website on which I'm entering the form.

I've seen this done with javascript.   I don't have a demo or example off-hand,
unfortunately.

It isn't foolproof, though, and could anger the person filling out the form;
especially if they are using a trick to delete the clipboard AND automatically
do so when the page loads without giving you an opportunity to prevent it.

OTOH, who's fault is it if the user typos his or her email address and copies &
pastes it?  ;c)  On way around this is to allow them to go back and change the
email address to which the verification link is sent.

R~