[ale] network issue

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:05:23 EDT 2009

Also netcat is your friend. You can tell it what port to listen/send
on and have the far end type stuff and it magically appears if things
are working.

It may be that the system will only allow external connections to 80,
443, 22, 32, etc due to "standard business uses". Put a different
modem in place and see if it works.

Hmmm. There needs to be a way to like a hub upstream of the cable
modem so high-tech users can tee off packets for verification. The
physical T is easy. But the connection will need to be raw to not
interfere. A passive, input-only cable modem with analyzer.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Robert L. Harris
<robert.l.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you used tcpdump on the firewall to make sure port 9000 is getting
> to both the internal
> and external interfaces?
>
> Robert
>

> On 5/4/09 5:33 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
>> I think I've got this figured out, but I figured I'd get some input.  I
>> have a client who has Comcast business high speed.  We need to forward
>> port 9000 to a particular computer.  I've gotten to the point that I've
>> turned off the firewall on the comcast modem/router, forwarded the port
>> to the IP of a connected laptop.  The laptop is running Linux and no
>> firewall.  Still can not see port 9000.
>>
>> I'm telling Comcast it's something on their end.  Am I missing
>> something?  Tried this with a Windows computer the same network (no
>> firewall either), still no go.
>>
>> I was able to successfully forward port 22 to the laptop, but not 9000.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

> --
>
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                       - Manowar

James P. Kinney III