[ale] 64 Bit Sniffit?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon May 4 17:14:18 EDT 2009

Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009, James Sumners wrote:
>
>> You could use Wireshark. If you're unable to run it on the server, you
>> could output the tcpdump data to a file and then import that file into
>> your local copy of Wireshark.
>
> Yeah.. that's just a kludge.. even if I script it.
> I just really like he way sniffit works for this level of debugging.
> I'm just not a good enough C coder to fix sniffit for amd64.
>
> In the meantime, I moved my project to a 386 kernel system
> while I debug this $!@#!@ kludge of a misconfigured Java soap server.

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Java." Now they have two problems.

More seriously, could you spare a minute to explain the advantages of
sniffit? I've never used it before.

Something very similar to James idea is to pipe the remote data directly
to wireshark.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Pipes

--
All the best,