[ale] Hosting Services

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri May 1 14:29:25 EDT 2009

Harold Bieber wrote:
> Robert, I have been extremely happy with the service at Dreamhost. I
> have been with them for over a year now. I think I bought a 3 year
> hosting package for $100.00. In the time I have been with them they have
> only had one major outage, it affected one of the servers I was on,
> there was a drive controller failure. It was out for about 2 hours or
> so.. but they sent at least 3 emails during that time with status
> updates. Servers are running Debian if I recall correctly.

I signed up for dreamhost yesterday. For $10 I thought why not, I've
been meaning to register another domain name anyway. At first I was
confused about what was my login to the web control panel and what was
my login to the server, but I figured it out. After I logged in to the
control panel I enabled ssh access. When I logged in via ssh I saw that
my server had an uptime of 45 minutes. Also, my home directory was
nonexistent! I made a change to my user in the control panel and my home
directory was created. I changed my document root using the web control
panel, created a database via the control panel, set up fastcgi by hand,
(they default to cgi), then installed drupal. In the middle of setting
up drupal, they changed my document root back to the default setting! I
changed it again and it's stayed put so far. When trying to edit my
crontab I keep receiving permission errors. Support was fast to respond
to my ticket about cron. My server had crashed and burned [0] and they
advised me to just wait until they put it back in working order. They've
rebooted it at least once more since then. I still can't set up cronjobs.

The server appears to have a quad-core E5405 processor and 16GB of RAM.
I think it's using an LSI raid controller as well as some network
filesystems. It's running Debian Etch. The kernel is
2.6.29-xeon-aufs2.29-grsec #1 SMP Wed Apr 29 17:30:56 PDT 2009 x86_64

[0] http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2009/04/30/batman-having-some-problems/

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts