[ale] Help! Not getting java right on F10

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Fri May 1 11:11:38 EDT 2009

ALErs -

I installed Fedora10 off the DVD and with that comes 'openjdk', 'IcedTea', and a bunch of related items. I'm trying to install the "real" 'jre-6u13-linux-i586' from Sun and I never pass their browser verification test.

I also installed a few things out of curiousity ('eclipse' principally) that seem to depend on 'openjdk' packages.

How can I install and configure Sun's 'jre' so it will be my default Java runtime, and the default for applets downloaded by Firefox-3.0.8?

I can probably remove the 'openjdk' packages and those things which depend on them, but it would be nicer not to.

TIA.

 - Mills