[ale] strange issue with disc space

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Jul 30 16:35:06 EDT 2009

Oracle allows use of either raw devices or cooked filesystems.  There is
no requirement to use raw though many choose to do so even in "UNIX on
RISC" as I know because I've used filesystems both on SPARC and PA-RISC
for Oracle.

With RAC on Linux it gets a little more complicated.  You can do "raw"
on Oracle ASM or "cooked" on OCFS/OCFS2 for RAC databases.   The "raw"
is deprecated in Linux.  It is still there "for now" but may go away in
future kernel releases in favor or DIRECT_IO which is what OCFS/OCFS2
uses.

Oracle's documents for CRS/RAC recommended ASM on raw because they were
updated for RHEL4 (and Suse and OEL equivalents) but not RHEL5.  RHEL5
still allows for raw but as I said I found out it was deprecated
(unfortunately only AFTER I'd used ASM and raw).  The OCFS2 documents
talk about the deprecation and I later found Linux documentation
discussing the same thing.   If I ever need to build another RAC system
on Linux I'll go the OCFS2 route.