[ale] Opera Reinvents the Internet?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Jul 24 12:37:37 EDT 2009

aaron wrote:
> On 2009, Jul, 24, , at 9:12 AM, Brandon Checketts wrote:
>
>> Interesting concept I guess, but I don't see it really taking off.
>>> From a technical standpoint, I see several problems:
>> - I don't want to leave my computer on 24/7 so that my friends can
>> access my content
>
> For the ability to personally access my home system, I'd leave it on
> 24/7.  There are probably dozens of people on this list who have
> systems at home that are on 24/7.  With properly working APCI and
> such, the power consumption is minimal and most us privileged people
> aren't going to think twice about this.

This is easy to set up with existing tools, though, so I don't see
much new here.  Eg configure your router to forward SSH to your
always-on system, and use port-forwarding over SSH tunnels for
everything else.

I'd be most concerned with the security implications of Opera's
idea.  No way am I gonna serve content in the clear over port 80
off of my personal system, unless it's served from a virtual
machine buried deep in a sandbox/jail and I can blow it away and
restore from a clean backup without losing anything important.

-- JK