[ale] Misc ramblings of a diseased mind

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Tue Jul 21 19:58:16 EDT 2009

Hello Chris,

> The CB idea just sucks.  CBs legally are limited to 4w and they don't
> really go far.

I disagree, of course.  And wondering when the limit dropped from 5w to 4w, I found this genuine nugget:
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/CB-Radios.htm
<http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/CB-Radios.htm>

It further reminded me of what that A/B switch was: SSB (Single Side Band) which significantly increases the range, as well as the privacy, of the users.

It also mentioned GMRS, which apparently requires an $80 license but seems to have some desirable benefits.

As far as the distance goes, unless you're neck-deep in urbana or in mountainous areas, the likelihood of useful communications even several miles apart is pretty good especially if you get good equipment and professional installation (which obviously should include proper tuning).

Still, unless you intend on ENJOYING having the radios, I recommend getting the Boost Mobile with the nationwide private Walkie-Talkie.  By the way, I believe there is also a GROUP setting available but I haven't looked into it.

Cheers,
R~