[ale] Misc ramblings of a diseased mind

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jul 21 11:51:17 EDT 2009

I'm back from a road trip to see grandchildren and children. Too much time
spent driving means too much time for the mind to wander into ideas and
questions. This being one of the more intellegent groups of people
around...

Due to vehicle size, there were a couple of times when we needed to convoy
rather than ride the same bus. While cell phones have some use here,
answering the "Is anybody as hungry as I am?" type questions, lets face
the fact that they are expensive to use for much longer conversations
while traveling, increase the risk of accident for their management when
there is a single person in the car, and are not really a general
solution despite being in almost every pocket/pocketbook around. I have
seen a hacks book suggest setting up a two car communications system with
laptops and ad hoc settings on the wireless setups, but I don't think that
the setup would scale at all well to a three or four vehicle convoy of
family/friends/what have you. At least the hardware would be frequently
available.

With a family reunion coming up in December, having a nice multi-vehicle
convoy voice-com system with moderate range, decient privacy settings,
and ease of use, would be an interesting item to have. Two approaches have
occured to me, but neither feels quite right.

First one would be something setup with an Arduino type controller using
XBEE mesh networking type connections. Of course, I'm in over my head at
this point, and would probably need to hire somebody to design and
implement if I _needed_ it. Or turn it over to the general public (like
ALE) and see if anything turned up if I don't _need_. It's an idea but
poorly concieved at the moment.

Second would be to do mesh networking with Linux and VOIP technology. Put
things on a thumb drive, tell people to bring lappies and possibly USB
style networking equipment, and go nuts. 'Course I don't know much of
anything about getting mesh networking going, and even less about things
like security and range so...

Off the top of my head, I suspect I'd like to shoot for the ability to
have ranges of near a mile over the highway between any two vehicles,
automatic reconnection, voice level bandwidths with a little extra for
comfort or expansion, encrypted links for privacy since this isn't CB, and
the ability to automatically scale up to multiple (shoot for 20?)
vehicles.

Anybody here find either idea amusing enough to make a useful comment?
A ticket for the Clue Train? Even a snide comment?

As usual, thanks to all members of the list for the use of their
bandwidth. I do appreciate it.