[ale] Trouble with volume group config and dmsetup

Josh Wells joshwells at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 21:46:13 EDT 2009

Hey guys. Linux noob here so take it easy on me. I'm trying to delete a volume group in openfiler which is using sdd so I can put sdd in an array. Deleting it from the GUI doesn't work. Apparently something went wrong when it was setting up. The vg is vg2 and it has one logical volume that is called backup. I can't delete the logical volume using lvremove because it is open. When I run dmsetup info vg2-backup it shows an open count of 1. Running dmsetup remove vg2-backup doesn't work. I'm guessing that the solution is to figure out what process is accessing the logical volume and kill it but I don't know how to do that. If anyone can point me in the right direction I appreciate it.

Josh Wells