[ale] Not so evil empire

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Wed Jul 15 14:10:13 EDT 2009

Richard Bronosky wrote, On 07/15/2009 01:47 PM:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Robert Reese<ale at sixit.com> wrote:
>> Brian wrote:
>>
>>> I have Charter telephone. I've had no real problems. The only thing to
>>> keep in mind is that, unless you put the telephony modem on a UPS, you
>>> lose phone if you lose power.
>> I put my cable modem, my router, my VOIP box, and my cordless phone on UPS / battery backup.
>>
>> It's nice to be able to surf and chat while waiting for the power to return. Not to mention check the weather and call family for those annoying tornado warnings that always seem to coincide with downed power lines (as long as the cable line doesn't go with it, that is!)
>
> So, you have experience with this working as described? In my
> experience, every time the power goes out (and it does VERY OFTEN
> because we are at the end of the line for Greystone Power) I loose
> cable and internet also. I assume it's because the
> amplifiers/repeaters on the line are without power as well. During the
> first season of lost, I decided to be a hero and run an extension cord
> to the inverter in the car to power the TV, but there was no signal on
> the cable.

I've experienced this working with Transedge and Verizon in Central
Florida, where I was without grid power for close to a month one summer
(3 back-to-back hurricanes). Up here in Northern Georgia, where we don't
go through anything so dramatic, TDS stays on during power outages, and
ATT doesn't go out any more frequently than they do when the power is up. ;)