[ale] Not so evil empire

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jul 15 13:06:45 EDT 2009

On 07/15/2009 12:19:27 PM, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> So how long does one have internet service during citywide
> power events
> such as those caused by ice storms?
>
> On of my reasons for not giving up my Awful Telephone and
> Telegraph line
> is the knowledge that some events can both clog cellular
> service to the
> point where you get "all circuits are busy" as well as
> stop power for
> your internet phone.  The phone companies have generator
> trucks that go
> around to where the batteries are to recharge them.  In
> North Carolina I
> was once without power for 3-4 days but my landline worked
> through that
> period of time.

Preinternet timeperiod, but I've had the power go off area
wide for some 10 days, and the POTS line kept on keeping on
for me and the vast majority of my neighbors.

That experience was a little too much like raw camping for
my taste, so I'd much prefer not to see another Hurricane
Hugo in my lifetime, thank you very much. At least we
didn't get a tree stuck in the house like 5 of the
neighbors did.

I'm not entirely sure that experience is quite sufficient
to demand retaining a land line tho...