[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 13 17:30:47 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 04:19:06 PM, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Its not holding others responsible for your
> responsibilities.   Its
> holding them responsible for THEIR responsibilities if
> they didn't put
> up safety barricades around the manhole.
>
> Talking about traffic and subway entrances is a red
> herring.   We aren't
> talking about normal hazards - we're talking about a hole
> where normally
> there is a cover.  There is a reason why you'll see new
> traffic signals
> flashing for a week to a month before they're turned on -
> its to get
> people used to the fact that there is a change in
> environment.

Hmmm. Thought we might be close to being on the same page.
Guess we might not be. Sorry. My error.

I disagree that talking about subway entrances or traffic
being a red herring, because if you aren't aware enough of
your surroundings to avoid a hole, a nice deep dark hole,
you  are likely to not be aware enough of traffic, or
stairs, or low bridges, or utility poles either. The issue
isn't, or shouldn't be, the specific hazard. The issue is
awareness of the environment, and the hazards found in that
environment must be expected to change without notice.

Is the city liable for the crew's failure to erect
barricades? Yes, as a barricade is a proper item around an
open man hole hazard. Failure to do so should be a
sanctionable offense.

Do I find the child (teenager) equally culpable? Yes. In
this case she earned damage to herself for behavior which
should (but doesn't) embarrass a child in kindergarten.
However, the same behavior could have had much more serious
consequences either for herself or somebody else on the
street because she wasn't paying attention to her
surroundings.

The sorriest part of the whole mess is that neither the
crew, the city, nor the child is likely to learn much of
anything from the whole expensive mess. I'd lay decent odds
that the child will resume texting and walking (soon
driving), the crew will forget barracades, and the city
will be ripe for something similar to happen all over
again. Income security for litigatious lawyers??

Stupid Stupid Stupid. (Not you Jeff - people in general who
refuse to learn.)

As an aside, I was trying to point out that even liberals
are capable of expecting individuals to look out for
themselves, despite the past thirty odd years of
conservative charges that liberals want nothing more than a
nanny society.