[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 13 15:52:09 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 02:56:17 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Lightner
> <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
>
> >   Still -  why were the putting up safety cones AFTER
> opening the manhole?

<<snip>>

> Sheesh. I thought I was "one of the liberals" here :-)

Last I checked, being "liberal" doesn't mean you hold
others responsible for "your" responsibilities. If you
cannot text and have a solid grasp of your surroundings,
don't text and do _anything_ else. (Which pretty much means
that nobody should text when trying to do much of anything
because _nobody_ seems able to guarentee situational
awareness and text.) Instead of a man hole, she could have
just as easily pushed somebodyelse in the man hole, or into
traffic. Getting mugged is also easier when distracted, but
there were apparently too many witnesses for that...

> > Most OSHA requirements deal with setting up safety
> environment first and
> > then starting the work.  Attaching a tether on a high
> rise after you’ve
> > started your fall seldom works…

It's too late for the safety glasses when the reaction
bumps and starts spewing caustic around, it's too late for
good footwear when you drop the brick over your foot, and
so forth. Open a man hole, a nice barricade in the way
first qualifies as a good idea.