[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 13 14:29:44 EDT 2009

And in fact you can be sued for letting your sidewalk develop cracks
large enough to stumble over.   Leaving a manhole cover off (if the city
did it and new about it) would certainly be grounds for a lawsuit in my
view.  If however some unidentified putz removed it unbeknownst to
anyone and it hadn't been complained about to the city I'd likely not
hold the city liable.

I remember many years back there was a case where a city had left a
pothole big enough for a VW bug to sit in that ripped out some guys
axle.  The city said they weren't required to fix or warn of "every
little pothole".  The courts found that they do have to warn of every
major pothole.