[ale] Seagate Hdd Not Lining Up!? -- Diverging from the problem...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:22:43 EDT 2009

I disagree with the attempted "new math" prefixes. The beauty of the metric
system is the simplicity of the powers of ten. To piggyback on the prefix
standard with a new base system that diverges that radically from the long
accepted SI units is inappropriate.

Yet I do see a need for some type of shorthand notation. It just needs to be
clearly different than Ki Mi Gi. Perhaps bK, bM and bG would be better
suited. Especially given that people read the first and last letters (mostly
the consonants) and devise the word from that based on surrounding context.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > sections. That tends to throw off the numbers a bit. The total drive
> > amount is in 1000 instead of 1024 units so the division gets bad. The
> > actual space is a  marketing  scam.
> >

> Somewhat related:
>
> Us geeks really need to get with the program and refer to 2^30 bytes as
>  a Gibibyte.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Suggestions_for_new_prefixes
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-unit-consistency
>
> --