[ale] C++ Compiler Suggestions!

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jul 13 00:53:20 EDT 2009

James Sumners wrote:

> Also, it's probably easier to start out with something like PyGame.
> It's a very easy to use API and comes with cross platform support for
> free (it's merely Python bindings for SDL).

I strongly second this.  If you're new to programming, C++ is just about the
absolute worst possible language to start with.  Almost anything would be
better, but Python in particular is simple, clean, reasonably fast (especially
if compiled down to native code using a tool such as psyco [1]), and very
powerful (in terms of functionality-per-line-of-code).  Also REALLY fun!

-- JK

[1] http://psyco.sourceforge.net/

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule: "Any sufficiently complicated C[++] or Fortran program
contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of