[ale] Microsoft tries to reverse Vista's Impact on the environment

Drag0n dragon at atlantacon.org
Wed Jul 8 16:08:34 EDT 2009

The irony of that statement is, with the introduction of compact
fluorescents, there was no reduction in power usage, just a shift to
where the cost is. With CF bulbs using less KWH of power, but increasing
the load on the power providers, the meter at the house spins less
costing you less, but the generator at the station has to work harder to
push that energy down the wire so they have to spend more to generate
it. It is odd that the truly energy efficient light source gets no real
air time ,LED lighting is many times more efficient and has a lower
power factor than even CF or incandescent bulbs.

Drag0n

http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/post/450043045.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/08/2125250&tid=232