[ale] Final Note - Upgrade Has Caused A Downgrade

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Tue Jan 27 10:34:16 EST 2009

My original message:
I've just experienced one of the most unnerving situations.  I've a custom
built machine that WAS running the following:
       ECS GeForce 6100SM-M mother board
       AMD 64 X2 5600+
       4GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       nVidia GT7300 PCIE 256MB video card
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 320 GB WD and 1 - 500GB Seagate
       550 watt Antec power supply
       Fedora 9 x86_64 with all of the latest patches

As my Xmas present I upgraded the machine to:
       Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 mother board
       AMD Phenom Quad core 9550
       8GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       Retained the video card from above
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 500 GB Seagate and 1 - 1TB Seagate
       850 watt Antec power supply

I attempted to install, from the same DVD used on the original machine,
Fedora 9 x86_64 with 4 failures at just about the same place while
installing packages.  I used my i386 Fedora 9 DVD and all went well during
the install so attempted to do a upgrade to x86_64 without luck.  I did a
test using my Fedora 8 x86_64 DVD and it installed perfectly.  I then
attempted to do a upgrade to Fedora 9 without any luck (it appeared to
fail at about the same place).  I then downloaded and burned another copy
of the Fedora 9 x86_64 DVD, checked it and attempted to do another install
and one again it failed at about the same place.

What could possibly be happening?  I since reinstalled Fedora 8, but that
has reached it's E-O-L. Should I just attempt to go to Fedora 10 x86_64?
Should I have entered something in the boot parameters concerning the
additional memory?

Any help or advice would be great!

Here's what we found and how it was found:

Even after the installation of Fedora 10, this machine continued to have
issues until it got to the point where it would only boot after being
powered off for several hours. Because the entire machine had been
purchased (over a period of 6-months) from the same store (this is not a
plug about buying everything from the same place), I packed up the
computer and went to the store's service department and we performed the
following:
The motherboard and all of the expansion cards were removed from the case.
The hard drives and power supply were left in the case.
The CPU and cooler were removed from the Gigabyte motherboard and the
store's CPU and cooler were placed on my motherboard - all worked well.
My CPU and the store's CPU cooler were placed on my motherboard - all
worked well.
At my request the store's CPU cooler was replaced with my Zalman CPU
cooler - nothing worked!
It was determined that there was in fact a motherboard issue.  The store's
tech came to this conclusion because the store's CPU cooler has a 3-prong
plug, but the Zalman has a 4-prong plug.  The motherboard was given a RTV
and was replaced by a MSI that was the most compatible (they had no more
Gigabyte boards in stock at that price point).

Everything is now working as intended!

Thanks,
Gene Poole