[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:51:40 EST 2009

2009/1/26 Brian Whigham <oobx at itmonger.com>:
> We have a couple dozen servers on it.  It works pretty well.  We need to
> upgrade.  We're still using stunnels, which add complexity.  But, we're
> actually trying to consolidate backups to netbackup.  One thing we've
> encountered is silent failures.  One host will hang up and cause all backups
> to fail.  We don't get a failure email. It may be a misconfiguration on our
> part, though.

Hmm. I get emails when things get hung up. Mostly I have an issue with
2 tapes out of 5 not being recycled nicely. It requires a manual
unmount/mount process and all is good.

Now that I think about it,I haven't had a failure to get an email
about other than "waiting for tape 2".

A library with a bar code reader is worth the $$. My gizmo is only
$1200, rack-mountable, SCSI-2 connections. VXA3 can use SCSI-320.

> For bacula, we backup directly to an HP MSL5000 with LTO2 tapes.
>
> I admit it's saved me as recently as two weeks ago.  I've never heard
> anything bad about it.
>
> I think it should scale to your environment. And, the price is right :)
>
> Brian
>
> 2009/1/26 Brandon Colbert <colbert.brandon at gmail.com>
>>
>> Great I know who to bug for help. LOL The environment is 80+ servers. I am
>> ordering the attachable storage unit this week: 12TB.
>>
>> I like Bacula so far!
>>
>> That's Jim!
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 4+ years on Bacula!! I have a 10 tape carousel from VXA with a VXA2
>>> drive. Daily backups of 8 machines. Restore process has been put to
>>> use on more than one occasion including the director machine (yikes!
>>> that was scarey!!) from bare metal. It Just Works (tm).
>>>
>>> Amanda is nice but doesn't scale as well as bacula. The docs for
>>> bacula are outstanding. Bacula is a command line version of the big
>>> commercial tools like Legato and HP Omniback.
>>>
>>> The new features that support encrypted transport tunnel and encrypted
>>> data on the tape make road warrior backups safe and reliable. It can
>>> also make for a backup and restore business for those with fat pipe on
>>> burst and NAS/tape storage hardware.

>>> --
>>> --
>>> James P. Kinney III