[ale] Ubuntu help

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 15:57:59 EST 2009

Sorry to belabor the point, but aptitude is NOT a frontend for
dselect[1,2]. dselect is a frontend for dpkg just as apt is a frontend
for dpkg. The aptitude package depends on the apt package (which
supplies a virtual libapt package). When you manage the packages on
your system with aptitude, aptitude uses apt, which uses dpkg, to
perform your actions. The wretched dselect is never used.

Yes, aptitude supports most of the "apt-get" commands. However, the
apt system is more than just "apt-get". Also, if you are using
aptitude like apt-get, why not just use apt-get? I don't believe
exchanging "apt-get install foo" for "aptitude install foo" reduces
the number of steps to install foo. And if you fire up the full
ncurses interface for aptitude you certainly aren't reducing the
number of steps; you are actually increasing the number of steps.

[1] -- http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/
[2] -- http://packages.debian.org/etch/aptitude

--
James Sumners