[ale] How Do I Do This PGP/GPG Thing?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 16 22:41:36 EST 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:21:47 -0500
Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanna jump on the PGP/GPG wagon, but I'm a bit confused by
> www.pgpi.com's web site.  For one why does Windows and MAC get the
> latest version, 8, which is 2 cycles ahead of UNIX!?

Not sure what their reason is, but if you're going to be using OpenPGP
on a UNIX (or UNIX-like) system, I'd recommend using GnuPG.  It's
stable (and has been for some time now).

If you use a GNOME-based system, getting started with it is pretty
easy.  You can use Seahorse, a GNOME program which helps you to manage
your keys, to create your first GnuPG key, upload your public key to
the keyservers, and download other people's keys from the keyservers.

The next thing to do, then, is to configure your email client of choice
to use GnuPG.  The setup for that is client dependent, but I know that
at least Evolution, Claws Mail, and Mutt can work with it.  All three
of those should be available on most popular distributions (and are for
sure on Ubuntu).

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.