[ale] Internal IDE DVD Burner

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:29:47 EST 2009

First thing to try is to lower the burn speed to the lowest setting.
Burning a 64-bit on a 32-bit box will not cause a problem. Some drives
are just cranky about bootable DVDs. Try burning the boot cd from
images and use linux askmethod at the boot prompt and do an NFS or
http hosted net install.

2009/1/16 Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com>:

> I think I've run into a bad DVD burner/reader and maybe someone can help.
>  At home I've got 5-internal DVD burners and at work I have 1-external DVD
> burner at my disposal. Of these 6-burners I'm pretty sure I know the brand
> names of most (2-Sony; 1-HP; 1-eMachine; 1-Pioneer; 1-LiteOn) based upon the
> machines they are in. I know the Sony's are the same even though 1 is
> internal and the other external.
> The burner I seem to be have the problem with is the Pioneer.  It doesn't
> seem to process a Fedora 9 x86_64 or CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installation DVD -
> even if the thing was burned on it!  All of the blank DVDs are +R and I use
> Verbatim, HP, Imation, and TDK.  Currently the machine that houses the
> Pioneer is the only x86_64 machine I have, so I have no way to test on
> another machine.
> The only install DVD that is working is Fedora 8 and Fedora 10.  I want to
> install CentOS 5 as it's the most like the Red Hat 5.1 I support at work and
> I want to run Oracle on my machine. How can I verify a x86_64 install DVD on
> a non-x86_64 machine (I've done the md5sum and sha1sum process at DVD
> creation time)?  Is it because I've burned a x86_64 DVD on a i386 machine
> causing me a problem?  Should I just try -R DVDs?  Should I lower the burn
> speed?  Is the phantom of the DVD haunting me?
>
> TIA,
> Gene

James P. Kinney III