[ale] Macbook Pro 15" or Thinkpad W500?

Robbie Honerkamp robbie at shorty.com
Thu Jan 1 15:30:23 EST 2009

Doctor Who wrote:

> What I don't necessarily like with the Macbook:
>
> * Price (about a grand more than the similarly spec'd Lenovo Thinkpad
> W500)..ouch!

Check out the refurbished and clearance Macbooks in the Apple store (the
link is on the front page, at the far bottom left). I bought a
refurbished black MB two months ago, and I love it.

> * Being a Linux guy I feel a little odd going with Mac OS X

Actually, it's very amusing for me to see that my Linux friends who
cracked jokes about Macintoshes pre-OS X now own Macs themselves. I love
OS X. But my first Unix was NeXTStep, so it's familiar to me.

> * Not as much software available for the Mac (I hear Fink doesn't work
> all that well / poor stability)

I think that depends on what software you need. I've been able to find
ports for any software I've needed, but I'm sure there's something out
there somewhere.

I love my Macbook, and now that I have it, I wish I had bought one years
ago instead of the Dell I used to use.

Robbie