[ale] Know anybody who knows macs, hd, etc. in NC Triangle?

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Sat Aug 29 22:20:26 EDT 2009

First off, attach it to a linux box and try to 'dd' (or ddrescue) the
entire potentially bad drive to a known good copy somewhere.

Then, you can use all kinds of tools to try and recover data from the
copy of the disk.  If it is just  boot data corruption, it seems like
you should be able to attach the disk to a working Mac and could
potentially use some mac tools to repair the file system?

I don't know anything about Mac file systems, but there are some general
purpose tools like scalpel
(http://www.digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/) that will look
through the raw sectors on the disk for file-type signatures and can
extract specific file types.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts