[ale] Home fiber network?

Scott Denlinger scott at scottdenlinger.com
Fri Aug 28 09:03:11 EDT 2009

I have an old house which I'm remodeling, and I am considering running fiber
instead of cat. 6, since I think fiber won't become as obsolete as quickly as
cat. 6 will. Does this make any sense to consider? I've run cables before, and
could do the termination of copper myself, but would I be out of my league
trying to run fiber? I would have to bring someone in to terminate everything
and test it, but I'm reasonably confident I could design the network, and run
the fiber myself, so I'm sure I could save on a lot of the labor costs, even if
I need someone to terminate all the connections.

Are there good Internet resources out there for RESIDENTIAL fiber networks? A
lot of what I've seen in my searching so far seems to involve commercial
installations.

Another factor is location--I'm in Statesboro, and there's at least one guy here in town
who claims to be able to do fiber installations, but I haven't gotten into
specifics with him. I'm sure there are folks in Savannah who could come out and
do it pretty easily, especially if they didn't have to spend time running the
fiber themselves. I imagine if they're only terminating and hooking up onsite
equipment, it's a 1-day job at most.

Thanks for any tips, insights or caveats.

Scott Denlinger