[ale] USB to serial adapter

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Aug 26 11:20:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 10:55 -0400, James Taylor wrote:
> I need to get my hands on a USB to serial adapter.
> Does anyone where I can get one, preferably cheap to free?

I would hope that the serial adapters aren't plagued with the problems
that the parallel port adapters are.  I wound up getting a desktop that
had a real parallel port interface so that I could print to the
dot-matrix printer that I own, because the USB→Parallel port converters
that I purchased all ate the first byte of each print job, and would
only send to the printer after the printer was reset.

Yuck.

(In order to troubleshoot, I also used it in Windows on another machine,
which had the same problem.  'twas useless, the flaw appears to be in
the controller.)

	--- Mike