[ale] Uverse in general and with linux server?

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Aug 25 09:40:48 EDT 2009

Neal Rhodes wrote:
> AT&T is making a push through our neighborhood to lit up that fiber that
> SBC ran through years ago.  (and tore up my junipers, dangit)
>
> So, for $10/mo more than 6mbit DSL they are offering 16mbit Uverse via
> FTTN. (Fiber to the Driveway and copper to the house.)   And free
> installation.
>
> There were some horror stories posted months ago, which seemed to focus
> on not doing the math regarding bandwidth, eg 2 HDTV's worth of data
> will eat the connection.   Not so clear that just a plain internet
> connection would be ok or like a root canal but without anesthesia.
>
> So, has anyone gone through it and survived recently?
>
> And, I'm getting the impression that AT&T in general does some port
> blocking which would affect someone running postfix/sendmail for their
> mail.   Are there other blocked ports?

I have uverse.  I've been pleased since the install.  I had a few issues
early on, but things have been pretty smooth of late. (knock on wood..).
  One thing you need to know is, it only handles up to 4 tv streams at
one time.  That is, if you have more then 4 tvs, you can only watch 4
different shows at one time.  Not an issue for me.

The do block port 25, but I asked my installer if they would unblock it,
he made the call, and that was that.  YMMV, depending on your installer.

I don't do HDTV, so I have no experience regarding such hardware.  I
don't see it as a worthwhile hardware investment.  When my existing TVs
die, I'll replace them with HD, but TV is not high on my priority list.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin