[ale] Why Tomato? was Re: I'm very lucky

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Fri Aug 21 14:16:52 EDT 2009

James Sumners wrote:
> Tomato just works. The interface is easy to use and understand. The
> QoS rule builder rocks. The real-time bandwidth graphs are extremely
> handy. The default bridge between the wireless and wired networks is
> awesome (my wired Xbox 360 sees my iTunes share on my wireless MacBook
> Pro).

Never had to use QOS. The bandwidth graphs on dd are fine enough for me
and the bridge is apparently fine; at least I don't know any better.

I dunno, I guess ddwrt just works. Seems like it for me. I don't do
VOIP. Only reasons I switched were boosting the strength and static IP
assignment.
Maybe when this router dies, I'll try it.

> What do you mean by "multiple-AP control features"?

DDWRT makes a handy quickie bridge for schools. You can put one in a
trailer, wire up a smattering of drops, and have a fairly secure
connection for a lot less than the cost of the fiber you'd have to run
otherwise. It's about 15-20% of the cost, actually.

Downside: you can't manage it like you can all the $400 cisco jobbies.
If one could *fairly easily* update them, config them, etc., it'd be
nifty. Upon thinking, one could do this with some clever ssh tricks. But
that's beyond the purview of *most* school staff, I'm afraid.