[ale] Google IMAP problems

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Fri Aug 14 02:14:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Andrew Grieser wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I don't think it's a speed issue. When it tries to connect, it simply
> comes back with an error saying the SSL certificate signature is bad.
>
> Same error on both laptop and N810.
>
> Andrew

Heh, they had that problem for a while in the end when I finally decided
to switch.  They had changed their provider for the certificate or
something like that, I don't recall exactly.  My mail client would hang
with an application-modal dialog when that happened.

There were numerous issues that caused me to move away:

  * Slow in managing the size of folders (labels) from IMAP,
  * The server would sometimes hang-up on my mail program, sometimes
    frequently, causing strange behavior.
  * The server would sometimes never answer a socket call, sometimes
    for hours on end.
  * The SSL certificate issue was the icing on the cake for me.

Anyway, there probably isn't much you can do about it.  For safety, many
client programs will store the last-used certificate for the connection,
and prompt when it changes.  I would hope all clients do that, but I'm not
so optimistic.  Anyway, it's a great feature to have, and really Google is
the at-fault party in making them appear so often.  There is nothing you
can do client-side that I can think of without either acting as an SSL
proxy (and using a locally-trusted, never-changed certificate) or patch
the program so as not to confirm such things.

 	--- Mike