[ale] Google IMAP problems

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Thu Aug 13 17:09:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Andrew Grieser wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This morning I wasn't able to check email via imap on my laptop (using
> google mail). Thinking this must be a local configuration issue, I
> switched to the web interface, which worked fine. However, later I tried
> to access google mail via imap from my nokia n810, and I received the
> same error that I had gotten before (invalid ssl certificate).
>
> So something must have changed today. Has anyone else run into this?
> Solutions?

I cannot immediately help your problem, but I can tell you what I did when
their IMAP became too intolerably slow for my usage:  I started running
mail on my home network.  This was several months ago, now, I think, but
they had run into issue after issue keeping the IMAP service reliable, and
after a couple of months of on-and-off responsiveness issues from the
server, I had had enough.

Now, I forward my GAFYD email to my home network, which gets the mail to
me.  It may still be slower, but at least I can manage my large mail
spools far easier.  I don't notice the slowness in delivery, if there is
any, and I don't really care about that (and won't unless delays get to be
in the 24+ hour range, regularly).

 	--- Mike