[ale] gnome desktop: icon size control

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 9 08:08:39 EDT 2009

Yes, I'm amazed at the pain windows users are willing to endure. I was at a
coffee shop the other day and saw a fellow with a laptop that had a decent 15"
screen. And in the center of this screen was a 10" square containing his
windows desktop. I finally asked him why he had it way and he told me that's
the way his friend set it up for him (to which I thought, did you sleep with
his wife or something?) I did fix it for him but alas the video only seems to
support two resolutions. So now he has a 13" square to look at.

My brother routinely complains about how poorly his windows machine performs.
Everytime he wants to show me something he'll click on this or that and then
we'll wait 30 seconds or more while half-painted windows cascade across the
screen. He DID let me put linux on it a while back and was quite happy with it
until I asked him to do something in a shell. He just flipped out and was
horrified that there isn't a gui tool to do every nuanced task. I asked him if
a support tech ever asked him to type ipconfig at a command prompt in windows
but he didn't care. I guess some folks prefer their familiar pain over an
unfamiliar solution.

--
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do
it.